Monday, March 16, 2009

Fifth that Essay about the Monomyth

What did I do with my weekend?
I just wanted to open with that for a little dramatic effect. From the picture, you might be tempted to guess that I spent my weekend flapping my arms trying to fly, but you would be dead wrong. In fact, I spent a good deal of Friday and a bit of Saturday plastic-skating on Davis field. The above is my favorite picture from Saturday night of me trying to jump on ice (credits to Steffo), which I just spent a dickens of a time trying to edit so that it resembled the freeze-frame shots at the end of movies like Rocky. If you don't know what I mean, simply imagine that you've just watched a movie about a young, charming amateur ice-skater who aspires to go pro and woo the lady of his dreams. The film ends with rapturous success and this freeze-frame of him doing his "signature jump" while his best friend and supporting character skates in the distance. Perfect ending, huh? I can already hear the Academy, Wikipedia writers, and Rotten Tomatoes singing its praise.

^ I realize that all that was incredibly corny, but 1. I actually spent quite a bit of time editing this photo 2. I happen to like it a lot 3. It's a very cool photo 4. No amount of corniness can change that

My court happens to have about 8 berry (I think they're berry) trees that bloom each spring. They seem to bloom rapidly each year, erupting in a fireworks show of pinks and purples before the seasons start to shift and the trees turn a darkish purple (which isn't nearly as nice-looking). I've been telling myself for a while that I should take a photo of them in bloom but hadn't really gotten around to it until this year. I actually didn't get them at their peak; there's a certain point when they are nearly covered with pink blossoms and artistically dashed with purple here and there. Still, they make for a nice setting when I go for jogs.

6 comments:

  1. i like that photo. the one i took.
    as well as the berry tree one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoa! that is an awesome photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the color of your shirt TOTALLYY makes the photo! who took it?! PHOTO CREDS! =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. bchao that is a sick photograph that you edited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this site is pretty
    ...pretty girly!

    ReplyDelete